Friday, June 6, 2014

West Virginia Ethics Commission votes 5-4 to fire Executive Director Joan Parker


Yesterday, the West Virginia Ethics Commission voted 5-4 in favor of firing Executive Director Joan Parker after a lengthy executive session.

The Commission selected Parker executive director Feb. 21, 2013 and her first day was March 11 that year. Parker succeeded Theresa M. Kirk, who had been with the Ethics Commission for about nine years.

Before going into executive session to discuss Parker’s retention or termination, Parker addressed the committee members.

“If you, commissioners, choose to end my employment, I will leave with my head held high knowing that throughout my tenure I have dedicated my efforts to maintaining the integrity of the Ethics Commission and have done everything within my power, even when it was unpopular, to promote compliance with the ethics act,” Parker said.